Montag, 14. Mai 2007

REPORT ABOUT OUR POSTER PRESENTATIONS (VOLUNTARY ORGANISATIONS)


For those who don’t know, our task was to report about the poster-presentation session on voluntary organisations around the globe. Even though I had two weeks to prepare the report (two weeks because we had Easter holidays), I did it like all “diligent” students the night before I was due to submit it. Maybe this accounts for the fact that it wasn’t quite well-written. Besides, I didn’t fulfil the task. Uuuuups!
What I did this time is that I didn’t write in plain English, but used long-winded and too complex sentences (real snakes). “A simple sentence is also fine and just as effective sometimes” says my lecturer. (Usually I use too basic grammar as well as vocabulary.) Want to have a look at one of this snakes? For example:
1) They lead you through all the steppes you have to go through I order to get there, and above all, you even get paid, so at the end you wont be in the red financially, let alone experience-wise. Oh goodness, where was I thinking? I don’t even understand the sentence now.
2) Candidate for MISS INAPPROPRIATE ENGLISH is also: However, many a time financial circumstances are that keep you getting to know all four walls of your precious room. Better is: ... financial circumstances keep you from leaving your precious room.
3) Here you can see English influenced by my mother tongue or so called CROANGLISH: ...get yourself checked at the doctor. Correct and only version: get yourself checked by a doctor.

These are some of my mistakes. After all, my homework isn’t that bad but in the future I shouldn’t write it the night before, let alone write such long-winded sentences.

Keine Kommentare: