Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2007

WOULDN’T IT BE GREAT TO HAVE NO MISTAKES IN YOUR HOMEWORK?



I’m asking you again: WOULDN’T IT BE GREAT? We all might hold that it so. However, if you consider it more carefully, you will come to the conclusion that it is not at all like that. We have to be honest and admit once and for all that we learn from our mistakes (although, it is much more pleasing to learn from other people’s mistakes :)). It is the way we improve our skills, bring them up to date. And after all, is this no what we are longing for? It is not all doom and gloom, although, after having been given the “best” marks for a longer period of time, it seems so.



And suddenly the lights go on! You did quite a good piece of writing. “What’s wrong with ME?” you ask. Well, at least it is what I asked myself. I have serious problems with writing. I am just not a (let me say so) writing person. To have an idea, put it on paper and make it interesting, besides use your best vocab and grammar. Uuuh, an arduous task. I prefer giving presentations instead.



Be that as it may, let me get to the point. Some time ago our homework was to write an essay about Austrians/Croatians or any other nation we are familiar with. I wrote a piece about my fellow Croatians and depicted them as outgoing and stubborn. The examples given might be exaggerated, for they are given by an insider. However, they perfectly exemplify our everyday life and are additionally part of our identity.



Now to the mistakes:
1) Engaged in an energetic debate they get while working on a field. – this sentence is considered incomplete. It should be: They become engaged in an energetic debate while working on a field.
2) BEEEE CAREFUL – intent on is a verb, intent to do sth is a noun – They are intent on (v) putting the issue centre stage. It is my intent (n) to ...
3) CORRECT SENTENCE: In return, we hold out open arms to embrace our brothers and sisters.
4) AND MY FAVOURITE MISTAKE – it is not regardless but regardless OF: ..., regardless of the strenuous efforts to convey that both are on the wrong track.



I hopefully will remember these mistakes and get rid of them.

Keine Kommentare: